So I am on the internet right now, which means that you can reasonably conclude that I am no longer in village and I am in a bigger city. This is both awesome and also not awesome because it means that I had to leave my host family behind. I'm moving in with another host family tomorrow, this one is going to be in the city so I'm really hoping for electricty but I really don't know at this point. So yeah, I'll find out about all that tomorrow. Today, I'm more focused on maximizing my day off. This morning I went to a coffee shop that had run out of café au lait, café, and only had 2 croissants. However, the girl at the shop ran next door and found us some café au lait so it worked out in the end, but it's always amusing to get to a restaurant and find that they have run out of food. It would surprise you how often this happens, it's also strange that all of the "employees" are there (I use the term "employee" loosely, I really mean the people who usually hang out at the restaurant are hanging out there) but no one has bothered to go out to purchase food in case a customer might arrive... It's always confusing, but like everything in Burkina, it somehow managed to work out and we got our breafast and made our way to this cyber cafe. Next stop: the pool!!!! Yes, the POOL!
Okay, so I am running out of time on this computer and I'm going to talk a bit about the last few days before I get too distracted by the luxuries of big city life. So Saturday was my last full day with my host family and we had a goodbye ceremony with all of the host families in the village (there were 12 including mine) and it was really nice. The families came to the training center and the chairs were all arranged and the trainees gave a speech about our host families and someone translated it from French to Mooré for the members of our families who can't speak French (like my host mom). Then we gave them gifts and a certificate of appreciation and everyone got a picture with their host family. It was really cute, then we ate snacks and had sodas. It was awesome. Then we had to pack up all of our stuff and we left yesterday. My host mom cried a lil, it was really dramatic, and honestly I was sad to be leaving too. I was just getting the hang of village life and my host mom and I were really getting good at communicating with mostly gestures and a few words. It's surprising how mch of language is nonverbal...
Okay, I only a few minutes, I have to go. Until next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment for Molly here! If you aren't a registered user on one of the sites that Blogspot supports, try selecting "Anonymous" in the drop down menu below this box. Just make sure that you put your name in the message so I know who it's from!