Pages:

Friday, January 4, 2013

Let's Build a Library!!

As promised, I am going to give a few more details about the library project. If you are the sort of person who likes to know what exactly you’re giving money to, then you’ll want to know (most of) this. If you’ve just got money burning a hole in your pocket, then feel free to stop reading and start donating! All you really need to know is: Africa, kids, books, reading! YAY!
 

But if you want to know more, then read on.

 

How online donating works: Donating to my project online is essentially the same as giving the money to me directly. All of the money that you donate will go to the project and none of it will go to any outside organization. The only reason that I’m asking you to donate online is because (1) it is easier to transfer money this way, (2) Peace Corps monitors and helps with the grant writing process so we’re less likely to embark on a project that is completely ill-fated and (3) it is against Peace Corps’ rules to take money directly from friends/family because they would like to monitor and help with our projects. All of the money will go directly to Peace Corps, then Peace Corps will transfer the money to me and I’ll go to the bank and take it out (in the smallest increments possible…it’s a 2.5-3 hour bike ride each way to the bank, so it won’t be too small) stuff it down my shirt (safety first!) and then I’ll go start spending it. Of course, everything I buy will be justified by receipts and a final report, which will be due 3 months after the project is “complete” (in this case, once the library is set up).

 

My project: I’m setting up a library for my village and the two connected villages. I’m working with a teacher at one of the primary schools. He approached me about the library and when he told me that he already had a building picked out, I was a little skeptical, but when I went to see it all I could imagine was how the space could be transformed into a library and community center. There are more than 8,000 people in the area and there has never been a library, or anything like it. Classes at the local schools range in size from 40 to 120 students, which means that it is not terribly surprising that kids can leave school without knowing how to read. I don’t mean that they “don’t know how to read” in the American sense when we say that about people who do not have good reading comprehension or can’t spell particularly well. I mean it in the very extreme sense that they look at a sentence and cannot understand a single word of it. A short stroll around a Burkinabé classroom makes it very clear that some kids can’t read, sometimes it is slightly harder to catch because they are very good (well, pretty good) at copying their neighbors but when you point at a particular word and ask what it is, they can’t tell you. Or it is obvious when there are essential words missing from their notes or when there are scribbles that look like they might be letters but they’re just poorly copied and when asked, the author has no idea what they mean. It’s not the kids’ fault (sometimes it is…) but the fact remains; the educational system is wanting.

 

The library will be little more than a house with some chairs, some shelves, and some books, but we’re trying to make it into a place where villagers can come and learn. We’re going to focus on reading in groups, play games, do sensibilisations (awareness campaigns about various topics like malaria, nutrition, HIV/AIDS, etc), do arts and crafts, play sports and have some one-on-one tutoring. We’re not, actually, going to allow the books to be checked out. As Americans, we feel like that defeats the purpose of having a library but (1) all of the books will disappear if we allow them to be checked out, never to be found again, and (2) at this point, reading needs to be guided. It’s hard to imagine picking up a book and not knowing how to use it, but most kids experience just that. I always make kids read me the title and the author’s name and only then can we start, but I stop them after every page to grill them about what they had read. But, really, it’s because of reason (1). All of the books will get stolen almost immediately. Seriously.

 

It’s mind-boggling to see how little students comprehend, even when they are reading aloud and it sounds like they understand what they’re saying. They just aren’t accustomed to reading and they don’t see a book as a story with characters and dialogue. I was surprised to find that average fifth graders didn’t know that <<this>> meant that someone was speaking (in French the <<things>> are equivalent to English’s “quotation marks”). How can someone read a story and understand if they don’t know whether they’re reading a description or if you’re reading what someone said?! Sometimes when the kids are reading I try to imagine un-knowing all the things that have been drilled into my head since I was reading Clifford books in elementary school and I can see why reading is so difficult. It’s like learning a new language but no one is telling you the rules or the “why” behind what you’re learning. Also, there’s no way to practice when you’re growing up in village. There are few, if any, books available to you and most of them that do exist are above your reading level and/or completely irrelevant (some kids once found a donated a book about a polar bear and his adventures… I had a real awkward time trying to explain that one… « Il est un ours. Qu’est-ce que un ours ? Uhhhhm un ours est un animal…comme un chien mais très très grand et il va manger les gens ! Il habite dans la neige. Qu’est-ce que la neige ? Uhhhhhhhm c’est comme la glace aux boissons. Oui, mais c’est partout ! Il fait tellement froid ! Non, ce n’est pas comme la saison froide ici. Il ne fait jamais froid ici. Il faut lire la damn histoire. »).

 

At any rate, for both my sitemate and myself, we’ve been dying to address this problem. We’ve tried setting up a library at the middle school (where Beth teaches and there were previous volunteers who tried to put books in a room and call it a library, much like we’re doing) but it is hard to keep libraries regulated in this country. How are we planning on regulating this library, you might be asking, and that is an excellent question. I’ve been stewing on that for weeks. This is what I’ve come up with (lower your expectations; it’s not much: we can (a) collect membership fees (easier said than done) or (b) harass the mayor until he gives us money or (c) set up some sort of IGA (income generating activity) for the library and we’ll set it up in a way that the money doesn’t get stolen and that people are motivated to actually do the IGA (definitely possible while we’re still here, but after we leave…?) or (d) link up with some library in the States or something that will be willing to shell out  180 000,00 F CFA ($360 USD) each year to keep the library going or (E) something else? As you can see, this is not really a plan. It’s kind of a vague presenting of options, but this is the best that I can come up with at the moment. Why? Well, the truth is that libraries are a completely foreign concept to Burkinabé so at this point they don’t know what they want and whether or not a library is something that they would like to maintain. I can try to explain it to them, but there’s really no substitute for seeing something for themselves.

 

I can offer one example in particular: last year we ran our flagship Camp H.E.E.R.E. (which many of you donated to, which, by the way, thank you…!) and no one really knew what a camp was or why one would want to do a camp. My village watched while Beth and I biked around with stuff piled on our bikes and thought (or so I imagine) “there goes those crazy white people again……….” However, after camp, the kids were SO happy (we could hardly get them to leave) and a number of local officials who had been skeptical about the project were over the moon about what a great thing this was for kids in the region. They were talking excitedly about Camp H.E.E.R.E. 2013 and Camp H.E.E.R.E. 2014 and BEYOND and we were like “right….we’re exhausted and the thought of another camp makes us just want to vomit… but love the enthusiasm, thanks! And now…we’re packing up and sleeping for 12 hours straight… but hang onto that enthusiasm!” The point here is that they didn’t know what a camp was and we had tried to explain it, but it took having it and having the community to participate for the explanation to really sink in.

 

Thus, with the library, I think that the same will be true. They can’t decide if they want it or not if they don’t see it and experience it for themselves. I can’t guarantee that the library will survive after Beth and I leave; but I can guarantee that there won’t be a library at all if we don’t get it started while we’re still here. If the village decides not to maintain it and laisser tomber, then fair enough, it just wasn’t meant to be. Personally, I will be devastated (I literally have nightmares about the library falling through and that I can’t get into grad school (or pay for it) and I just end up wandering the streets hopelessly…I always wake up kind of crying. Also: I am on some pretty strong anti-malarial drugs that make my dreams abnormally distressing. So. There’s that.) but the fact remains if the community doesn’t want/isn’t ready for a library, then it is not. So we’ll have to laisser tomber. However, on the off chance that they are ready and do want a library, I’m trying to get another volunteer to replace me so that the new volunteer can regulate the library until someone in the village is ready to take it on. It could take years. That honestly would not surprise me; in fact, it would surprise me if it didn’t take years.

 

Beth’s Project: Completely by coincidence, my site mate is launching a similar project at the same time as me. We talked about it, however, and we’ve realized that the projects go hand-in-hand perfectly so we’re going to be working on both projects together. She wants to purchase a set of books for each of the primary schools which the teachers can check out and use in their classrooms. She also wants to do a formation which will teach teachers how to use a set of books to do small group reading or other reading comprehension activities with their classes. The formation will, if things work out, be held at the library where they can also learn about the library and what sort of things we hope to make available at the library. As you can see, this project and mine are closely linked and, honestly, it will only be an extension of what Beth and I are already doing with the kids in our communities (except this time it will be funded!).

 

How much I’m asking for: I’m asking for $3,100 and my site mate, Beth, is asking for $2,200.

 

What that money will purchase: For Beth, that money will purchase a set of books for each primary school (probably in the form of “Bouba and Zaza” books which are kids’ books that are written in French, illustrated, geared towards West Africa and always have some good messages). She’ll also purchase a shelf for each primary school (no, they don’t already have shelves. They barely have desks for all the students. Keep those expectations nice ‘n low, where they belong).

 

For me, it will pay for tables, chairs, paint, screens for the windows, repairing the ceiling of the building, a hangar for outdoor learning, portable chalkboards, fencing, a latrine and other essentials for the building and then I have 100 books in the budget, which is not a ton of books, but it is a pretty decent start, especially for here. I also have budgeted 4 000 F CFA ($8) for “labor” and when the teacher that I’m working with saw that he was like “that is not nearly enough!” and he laughed because he thought I’d made a typo. Nope. I was like “you, me and everyone else will be working for free but the $8 is for some Nescafe and snacks…Hope you have a shovel and are ready to get dirty.” And he looked at me for a second, clearly thinking “girl, you’re out of your mind…” then he shrugged, shook his head and was like “…Americans....” and just let me write it. He’s learned a valuable lesson; it’s better not to argue with deranged American girls on a mission.

 

All of the materials will be purchased by myself, Beth, the teacher (Zephirin) and other volunteers (and my counterpart, who is not technically a volunteer, but I have his phone number and I know where he lives so he often gets conscripted into my crazy schemes) and transported by the same people. I’ve carted a chair around on the back of my bike and a different time I transported a table. Ten bucks says that I can do both at the same time. If I can’t, some confused children on a donkey cart will pick up the slack. At any rate, by donating, you’re giving the bare minimum for materials (and I’ll be purchasing them from local sources, whenever possible, because I don’t want to transport them very far). It’s probably the most bang for your buck that you’ll ever get if you’re donating to any charity, ever. I promise that I will haggle a good price on all materials… I’ve got enough local language and cute smiles to get a decent price and, if that’s not enough, I’ve also got a pretty solid amount of RAGE if all of the niceties fail.


Conclusion: I hope you’ll donate. It really is going to a good cause. This is my pet project, my baby, but 17 months in this country has taught me not to get too attached to anything (if you do, it will undoubtedly get stolen, broken, or otherwise demolished) so if the library doesn’t happen, it doesn’t happen. Do what you can. Direct others to the project. But otherwise, don’t stress about it. I’ve been in the eating-raman-noodles-sleeping-on-a-cot-stealing-ketchup-packets-from-restaurants phase (actually, I’m still in it…but I’m in a lower budget version…I WISH I had raman noodles and ketchup packets…!) and if I’m incredibly lucky I’ll be in it again (grad school…?) so I totally get it if cashmoney is tight. But if you have cash to spare, hope you’ll donate to myself and Beth.

 

Links (for donating):

 

Also, if you donate, PLEASE leave your name! If you type your name in, it will only go to me (or Beth, if you donate to her project). Otherwise, I will have no idea who donated to my project and I won’t know who to thank!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for Molly here! If you aren't a registered user on one of the sites that Blogspot supports, try selecting "Anonymous" in the drop down menu below this box. Just make sure that you put your name in the message so I know who it's from!