Pages:

Friday, July 25, 2014

Revisiting old memories...and creating new ones!

Finally, after months and months in the village where I've been living during my third year (almost a year, but I don't want to admit to that...) I have finally made the trip to visit my old village. As always, the trip was too short and I didn't get to do everything that I had wanted to do, but I did get to visit some old friends and to see the house that I spent two years living in. My moringa trees (which I had planted in July 2011) are still alive, much to my great happiness! My house was well cared for by the Burkinabe family that replaced me (though there are a good deal more livestock roaming the courtyard...) and the library is still standing. All of the books are there and it is still being used for the preschool that we had set up before leaving. The kiosk is still functioning- we stopped for a Nescafe before heading out. Even the bread oven is still going! As with everything, the first year was rough, but everything is still operational which is more than I had expected (the secret to life is low expectations) and the library is expecting a new Peace Corps volunteer this coming August. His first task will be cleaning out those awful bats in the ceiling who have definitely been multiplying in our absence (and there were already a lot to begin with).

At any rate, it was great to go back and visit, but remembering how horrible the transport situation to get out there was actually physically painful. Not sure when/if I'll be able to do it again, but it was well worth it!!

In other news, working with FAVL has been moving right along (waaayyy too quickly, I might add) and I've been doing all sorts of fun things with the FAVL libraries. I have months and months worth of pictures, so I figured that it was high time to share some of them.

Kids playing memory (they have to match a written sentence to an image in order to get the pair... the one with the most pairs wins)

Students reading books printed by the Multimedia Center

An intense game of memory
Training local illustrators how to improve their drawings with things like perspective and shading

The longest art critique ever....

An illustrator practicing some new techniques

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for Molly here! If you aren't a registered user on one of the sites that Blogspot supports, try selecting "Anonymous" in the drop down menu below this box. Just make sure that you put your name in the message so I know who it's from!